PAGES

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Cruel to be kind

We had a bit of a gale rip through for a couple of days with a load of rain and I decided it had made a lot of the plants look very bedraggled so I hacked off all the impressive swathes of geum, goodbye Mrs Bradshaw (for a while), and all the very large and very tall granny bonnets (aquilegia).

The big surprise was that the borders that seemed to be so dependent of those displays still looked relatively OK.



west facing - always fuller than the east facing one


east facing still looking OK


Wollerton Old Hall rose just coming into bloom


Delphiniums - two half eaten by our friend the slug




The ferns were putting up their wonderful new fronds, so it was time to cut out the leaves which had died over winter and freshen them up.


hart's tongue fern

soft shield fern



For anything which gets 'taken away' much more sneaks in.  I bought more plants for pots and extras of various established plants such as the Mexican fleabane (Erigeron karvinskianus) and these little gems.  The Rhodanthemum Marrakech was bought for around the feet of my Buddha to give him something to contemplate.  The teeny Erodium was bought for the gravel area but it actually proved too teeny, hence four more fleabanes being wheeled in instead and the erodium finding a spot at the end of each border......  an odd sort of punctuation mark but I couldn't throw them away.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.