PAGES

Friday 18 May 2018

Maybe a good idea?

12th May 2018

I was a tad concerned about the plant plugs in plastic boxes - they were very wet and pretty much enclosed with roots exposed to light - doesn't seem the best way to hold on to plants until you can plant them.  Normally if you have a few plants you can't get to and they are bare root you would just heel them in somewhere until you could, or even pot them up so I thought I would apply the same principal but on a mini scale.  I sorted out all the ones I wanted and put them in trays of potting compost.  watered well and put them in sun/semi shade.  Weather permitting I will plant a few a day with Ken's help.  



108 baby perennials-in-waiting

they look relieved to have escaped their boxes

I had also decided there were some plants in the border mix I bought that I really just don't like such as red hot poker, lychnis, heuchera, sedum (apologies to those who love them) so I sorted those out to pass on via Freecycle.  That cut the number down by a couple of dozen, leaving me with a still daunting 108..


Besides doing that little lot, with the help of Ken (digging each little hole) I also managed to get in 18 very sad looking verbena bonariensis.
Verbena b. poor little soul 

The verbena were a separate order and had I just ordered those I would have been very disappointed they were pretty pathetic and indeed I only got 14 out of 18 as four were already decidedly dead.  As for the others time will tell.

You can see the dreadful 'soil' we are dealing with.  What we are now doing is digging a double size hole for anything we plant and filling with compost and planting into that and throwing away the clay we take out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.