PAGES

Thursday 17 May 2018

The roses go in



11th May 2018

We need to get the back line of the border in place before I can start on the zillion little perrenials so we had to do an 'emergency' shop yesterday - we dashed to Pentland with the objective of buying almost any four pink climbing roses that don't exceed six feet (by much).

This meant paying a proper price (£23 something each) for a proper plant.  We bought four lovely David Austin climbers both of which I know and also know they are good doers.  The left side of the garden (east facing) has a pair of 'A Shropshire Lad'.  It has proven tough in the past so hope it can cope with east facing.  A bit less challenging on the right side (west facing) fence I have a pair of  'Wollerton Old Hall' bought partly in memory of our old home as we lived quite nearby and have been there several times.

I just looked up the roses to add the links here and discovered different information on the David Austin website than that which is on the labels -   I have an 8 ft height for Shropshire lad on the label and ten feet on the site - that's OK (ish) but I have 6 - 8 feet on the Wollerton label and have twelve feet on the site....mmmmm   Time will tell.

So today a lot less time in the garden was all I could manage and we got in the four roses.  This means our fences are clad and we can crack on with the borders, weather and back permitting, tomorrow.



Wollerton Old Hall

I also managed to get in the dwarf runner beans in the other patio bed.  This will probably house lavender and roses next year but I am saving some spending pennies and some work by just using it as a little veggie bed this year.  Not serious growing just some beans and lettuce and radishes and anything else quick and easy I might spot.  Partly I am also doing it to amuse my grandson who might love watching his lunch grow.

that wigwam is not that wonky!

I thought you might want to see the front of the house.  This garden won't lend itself to any planting like my previous one but maybe that's a good thing as it will be less to look after.  That said our new gardener has already weeded the borders where the hedge is.


We are overdue a cherry tree from the developers.  the week they planted ones in other gardens I asked where ours was and apparently they had run out and now we won't get one until October because it is too late in the year - presume they are bare rooted.  Very disappointed - doesn't feel right not to have a tree.

I know what the shrub is that we have for hedging but for the life of me can't remember - anyone help?









No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.