PAGES

Monday 14 May 2018

My secret ingredient

Pretty much in all my gardens and certainly for as many years as I remember I have always clagged up green plastic coated chicken wire on the fences to support any climber I put in.  It is a cheap option, easy to do and lasts for many years; certainly for as long as I have ever lasted in a house and it seems able to support anything.

We buy 25m rolls of 0.9m plastic coated wire and (carefully) unroll it along the fence about 5 cms below the top (assuming a 1.8m fence) and then, using a staple gun, staple the wire in place at random intervals.  Then repeat below that row, taking the wire nearly to the floor.

On the 30th April my handy other half and I set out to do this on both sides of the garden ready for the future roses and clematis to scramble up.  I lasted for one side - about half an hour but he kindly did the other side on his own.

I regard it as a success if you actually can't see the wire and I was a bit concerned about the pale coloured brick wall and the honey colour of these fences but as it turns out it really doesn't shout at you and when it is clothed with plants and the borders are planted in front, it will be just fine.


one side finished

work in progress on the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.