PAGES

Thursday 10 May 2018

The patio and grass go in

The basic earth moving (manually) and timber supports were done in a couple of days.  The next two days saw the patio and lawn go down and we were done.





I am trying not to be picky and find problems that other folks won't even see.  As with almost anything in life you get what you pay for.  I was super skinny and snatched at the cheapest quote knowing it would be a basic job so I am reminding myself of this and will work with what we have.  Right now we have a patio, a lawn and a gravelled area.  

The patio will be in almost permanent shade but that actually isn't a bad thing as it turns out.  The last three days have been broiling hot and it has been pleasant to be able to sit in warmth but not screw our eyes up, be plastered in sun lotion and complain about the heat.  My theory is we pretty much only go in the garden in the hottest of weather so that will do us nicely.  

I am holding off on buying dining furniture until next summer and will make a proper assessment of how we actually use the spaces.  The original theory was we would dine on the patio area and sit in the sun in the gravelled area (the pot garden!).  It seems that is already changing.  Currently we have our conservatory furniture (sofa and two chairs) on the patio which looks very nice but doesn't look nice at the bottom of the garden.  I am hoping we find we actually don't want a dining table and chairs out there and we end up with two seating areas.  



Only a complete imbecile would think she could get from top to bottom of garden via the borders in her slippers!!!  The lawn is out of bounds for about three weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I have had a few pair of slippers like these too. I like hard soled slippers as I invariably find myself in the garden in my slippers whether it is hanging out the washing or needing something out the shed. Starting a garden from scratch is a costly business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wilma how lovely to see you here. Like you my slippers really are always cheap comfy shoes not actual slippers, so they have proper soles for exactly the same reasons you said. Drives my other half nuts - he faithfully exchanges slippers for shoes to go to the dustbin! Think this time I really over-stepped the mark. As for the cost of the garden, we will have spent as much out there as we will spend in the house. I don't mind as I am the garden fan and would love to throw more money at it but it has to be done on the tightest budget. Needs must ..... M

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.